Hi there! It’s Marsha here today, with a layered print tutorial using the brand new Gelli Arts® Mini Placement Tool!
Like the original Perfect Placement Tool, the Mini Placement Tool helps you align your layered prints perfectly. The Mini Tool works with any size plate and creates a 1″ border around your prints.
Watch this video tutorial to see it in action!
You see me gel print with laser-printed photos of my friends’ cats in the video. I used photo-editing software to remove the background from the pictures. This is optional, so don’t worry if you don’t know how to do that. It’s by no means necessary!
However, you do need to be able to change your images to black and white, and you will need a way to increase the photo’s contrast.
If you need help figuring out how to prepare and laser print your images, I explain more on the topic in this blog post: Laser Image Transfer Prints with Gelli Arts® by Marsha Valk (ATTACH LINK: https://gelliartsblog.com/2021/10/07/laser-image-transfer-prints-with-gelli-arts-by-marsha-valk/)
If you don’t have access to a laser printer or copier, you can instead use images from a book or a magazine.
Steps for pulling an image transfer print:
– Place the laser print on top of a thin, even layer of paint
– Lightly rub the paper with your hand to make sure the entire image is in contact with the paint
– Lift the image
– Give the paint a minute to dry
– Roll out a drop of light or pale coloured paint on the plate
– Place the Mini Placement Tool on any corner of your plate
– Place the paper against the paper guides
– Rub and then pull the print
Remember that some transfer prints turn out better than others. That’s just the way it is, so please don’t let it discourage you!
Next, mask off your image transfer images (cats). Keep the masks on the prints until you’ve finished gel printing your layers.
The Gelli Arts® Mini Printing Tool makes it super easy to pull multi-layered prints. Just place the Tool in one of the corners of your plate, place the paper against the paper guides and pull your print.
Use that same corner for the subsequent print layers, and align all layers perfectly to your paper!
Happy layered gel printing!
Instructions for Image Transfers:
- Gelli Arts® Mini Placement Tool
- Gelli Arts® 6”x 6” printing plate
- Gelli Arts® Mini Printing Tool
- Gelli Arts® 8”x 10” Multi-Stencil
- Laser prints/copies or images from books/magazines
- Acrylic paint
- 4″ soft rubber brayer
- Scrap paper
- Bristol paper (A4 size)
- Temporary adhesive (E-Z Runner Repositionable Adhesive Dots by Scrapbook Adhesives)
- Handmade texture tools, foam stamps
- Hand cut or electronic die-cut stencils
- Textured fabric
- Optional: Paint marker, colored pencil
4 thoughts on “Gel Printing Valentine’s with the NEW Mini Placement Tool”
Awesome prints Marsha. Love how you made this.
Thank you so much for the tutorial and showing how to
use the new tool. Stay safe and have a wonderful day.
Such lovely prints
This is beautiful. Did you let the paint dry slightly in between each layer?