Today I am making a mixed media journal cover with my Gelli Arts® gel printing plate and Liquitex® Basic Acrylics. I love working with these acrylics as they’re so pigmented and smooth on easily on the gel plate.
Read to the end of the blog to enter for a chance to win a prize from Liquitex® + Gelli Arts®! Plus- we have a coupon code for everyone for 20% off http://www.gelliarts.com
These journals make for beautiful gifts and can be easily customized. Please follow along the video with detailed captions on the process and let me know if you have any questions.
Step by Step:
– Add a bit of acrylic paint to the Gelli Arts® printing plate and use a brayer to spread it.
– Press the front and back of the journal firmly on the plate and pull a print. Use another color and add some stamps of your choice to pull layers of prints on both front and back covers. You don’t need a lot of color. These Liquitex® acrylics are highly pigmented and spread smoothly.
– Keep creating layers of colors and patterns until you’re satisfied with a base design.
– You can then add some additional colors and textures. I added some gold pigment ink for a hint of shimmer and then used Liquitex® glass beads texture gel. I then enhanced the texture further by painting with the same color I used in the base print. Note: the Liquitex® Glass Beads Texture Gel dries clear.
– I traced and cut out the same leaf shape on metallic gold paper and adhered that adjacent to the print impression.
– I added the same glass beads texture gel to half of the gold leaf and while it was drying, I enhanced the background with Stabilo water-soluble colored pencils.
– Now I put some super glue and added a gold twine for texture and interest. I added some more embellishing with a script stamp and Nuvo crystal drops.
– Now on to the back cover. I used some pigment and distress inks to give the print a more muted effect.
– I then sprayed some water followed by Tim Holtz Antiqued Brass Distress Spray Stain.
– For the last bit, I added Ranker Ink Enamel Accents, some more Nuvo drops and Jacquard Lumiere paints.
– Here is the final journal cover with the die cut word “memories” as a prompt to get started.
Here are links to all the products I used:
You don’t need this assortment of supplies to create a customized journal… all you need is a gel plate, Liquitex® acrylics and your imagination to make something beautiful. I hope you have fun exploring.
See you next time!
And now… enter in our giveaway for a chance to win some goodies from
Gelli Arts® and Liquitex®!