- Students Will Be Able To (SWBAT) create a unique holiday bauble ornament.
- SWBAT use patterns to create their ornaments.
- SWBAT use visual structures of art to communicate ideas.
- SWBAT use subject matter, symbols, and ideas to communicate meaning.
- What is a pattern?
- Can you create a pattern?
- Why do we use ornaments?
- Gelli Arts® double sided printed papers
- Circle tracer
- Ornaments – To make something look more attractive by adding decorative items; usually used on a Christmas tree.
- Pattern – A repeated, decorative design.
MOTIVATION AND DEMONSTRATION
The class will discuss the symbols that are used at various holidays and why we use ornaments.
- Step 1: Use a circle tracer and pencil to draw 12 circles on your Gelli Arts® double sided prints and cut them out. Using prints with different colors can add a nice effect.
- Step 2: Fold all the circles in half and stack them on top of each other so that all of the folds are in the center and are touching.
- Step 3: Use the glue on one half of a circle. Attach the flap of another folded circle onto the glue.
- Step 4: Continue like this all the way around until all of the circles are glued together.
- Step 5: Attach a ribbon to the top either by placing it in the center before gluing the last two flaps or by poking a hole in the top.