More and more, we’re seeing art journals and planners morphing
into one creative entity—becoming a perfect place to consolidate your lists,
goals, schedules and…art! Watch this video for ideas on monoprinting your own
artful planner pages!
The key to keeping a planner/art journal is having it with you! That can mean keeping a special tote for your planner and supplies—and Gelli® plates fit right in. Whoever said “you can’t take it with you” clearly didn’t have Gelli® printing plates in mind! Gelli® plates offer so many advantages as a printmaking tool—and among them is portability!
Gel printing on-the-go is easier than ever! The convenience ofstamping with Mini Printing Platestakes the fun to a new level. And you can
create with them just about anywhere! They’re great with paint and a brayer—orstamp pad inks. So be sure to include these essentials in your tote bag!
I had a ton of fun painting this canvas tote bag with DecoArtMulti-Surface Satin acrylic paint and decorating it with strips cut from Gelli® prints! It’s the sturdy Voyager 15″ Riggers Bag from Harbor Freight—and it
holds a LOT of supplies!
So the question becomes—what to pack! I’m partial to the StaplesArc Planner because the disc binding allows you to easily add and remove pages.
The Arc Compact Punch turns any print into a page you can insert. It’s slim
profile and light weight make it a ‘must-have’ in my tote! But just so you
know—punching through heavyweight paper with the Compact Punch takes some
strength. Lightweight papers are a breeze to punch.
Working on single sheets gives you plenty of options for paper
choices. Strathmore has a great selection of pre-cut papers and pads that are
sized just right for packing in your tote. My favorites include their
Mixed-Media paper, Printmaking paper, and Ready Cut Watercolor paper—hot
press—for it’s smooth surface.
A 5.5″x8″ Strathmore Mixed Media Art Journal is another
thing I keep in my bag. It stands up to wet media—and Gelli® prints look so
beautiful on the quality paper. And I especially love that it lays flat when
open—it’s such a pleasure to work in.
For paint, I’m always happy using DecoArt Fluid Media acrylics.
The bottles are small and pack easily—and a few drops are enough paint on a
small Gelli® plate! Take your primary colors, white and black—and you can mix
the rest. A color wheel is always good to have handy too.
Another wonderful source for color is Splash Ink by Yasutomo.
It’s a system of the three primaries (Yellow, Blue, Magenta) and black,
designed for mixing any color. Inks are thin, so adding it to a medium or white
heavy body paint can make it even easier to gel print with. Plus, you can
alter any acrylic paint color by adding just drops of Splash Ink! Use a Niji Waterbrush with Splash inks to embellish any print. And add a special sparkle
of color to your pages with Niji Pearlescent Watercolors. The Niji Water Brush
is a ‘must’ in any tote!
Stencils and masks are so easy to pack—so I keep a bunch of them
in my bag. There’s always room for my favorite ‘Bits’, ‘Fragments’ and
‘Remnants’ by The Crafter’s Workshop—along with some of their fabulous 6×6
stencils. I’m loving these stencils, designed by Rebekah Meier—so many images
to use—especially with the Mini plates!
I’m crazy for the Gelli Arts® Printing Tools—and regardless of the
plate size I’m working with—I love combing patterns through the painted
surface. So both sets of combs—Squared Edge and Rounded Edge—are in my bag!
Aside from creating all sorts of swirly, wavy designs—they’re great for adding
lines to my planner pages! Perfect for creating original, artful ‘List’ pages.
Packing an art tote for Gelli Arts® printing is pretty straightforward.
All you need are Gelli® plates, paint, a brayer and some texture tools—plus
whatever planner or art journal you work in. But that’s just the beginning!
Then, there are supplies needed for journaling on prints and
creating planner pages—and collage. This is where everyone’s list starts to
vary. We all have our favorite art materials to work with.
If you’ve discovered the total relaxation people are finding in
adult coloring books—stick one in your bag for those moments when you’re
looking for a calm, happy escape. There’s a reason these are bestsellers
everywhere! I like to cut up colored-in sections and collage onto a Gelli® print
for that extra element of design and color. They’re also a great source for
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!!!!
AND OUR WINNER IS…. Lisa McGushion!!
And now…it’s for time our GINORMOUS HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY
In this season of giving, all of us at Gelli Arts® are brimming
with excitement about our giveaway this month—with tremendous
gratitude to our entire Gelli ® community.
I’m not a magician—but I’m pretty good at cramming things into a
small space. HA! Even I can’t fit ALL of the cool stuff in this giveaway into
the tote bag.
Our lucky winner gets it all—and can decide what goes in the tote
And yes, the tote I decorated is part of this prize!
Our HUGE prize includes the following:
- 1 – 8″x10″ Gell Arts® Gel Printing Plate
- 1 – 5″x5″ Gelli Arts® Student Gel Printing Plate
- 1 – Gelli Arts® Mini Printing Plates (Square, Triangle, Round
- 1 – Gelli Arts® Mini Printing Plates (Rectangle, Hexagon, Oval
- 1 – Gelli Arts® Printing Tools (Squared Edge 3 pack set)
- 1 – Gelli Arts® Printing Tools (Rounded Edge 3 pack set)
- 1 – Voyager 15″ Riggers Bag – canvas tote decorated by Joan
- 1 – M by Staples ARC Customizable Notebook –
8.5″x5.5″ – black leather cover
- 1 – M by Staples ARC Expandable Discs – set of 12
- 1 – Staples ARC Compact Punch
- 1 – Strathmore Mixed Media Art Journal – 5.5″x8″ – 64
- 1 – Strathmore Printmaking Paper – Lightweight – 5″x7″
– 40 sheet pad
- 1 – Strathmore Ready Cut Watercolor paper – 140b. hot press –
5″x7″ – 25 sheets
- 1 – Strathmore Mixed Media – 140lb. vellum surface –
6″x8″ -15 sheet pad
- 1 – DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics – 10 color Assortment – 1 fl. oz. bottles
- 2 – DecoArt Americana Stencils – 6″x8″
- 3 – DecoArt Andy Skinner Mixed Media Stencils – 8″x8″
- 3 – The Crafters Workshop 6″x6″ Stencils – Rebekah
- 2 – The Crafters Workshop 4″x4″ Balzer Bits Mini Masks
- 2 – The Crafters Workshop 4″x4″ Ronda’s Fragments
- 1 – The Crafters Workshop 4″x4″ Rebekah’s Remnants
- 1 – Yasutomo Splash Ink – 4 color set – 1 fl. oz. bottles
- 1 – YasutomoNiji Waterbrush – 12mm – Medium
- 1 – Yasutomo Pearlescent Watercolors – 21 color set
- 1 – Caran D’Ache Neocolor II – Water-Soluble Wax Pastels – 10 color set
- 1 – Derwent Inktense – 12 Ink Pencil Set
- 1 – Speedball 4″ Soft Rubber Pop-in Brayer
- 1 – Inkadinkadoo Clear Block – Large
- 1 – Lesley Riley’s Reverse Alphabet Stamps
- 1 – Recollections Alphabet Rubber Stamp set
- 1 – Ranger Archival Ink – Jet Black ink pad
- 1 – Tsukineko Memento Dew Drop Inkpads – 4 color set
- 1 – Faber-Castell – 4 PITT Artist Pens – black
- 1 – Faber-Castell – 6 PITT Artist Pens – Brush – Basic Color Set
- 1 – Tombow Dual Brush Pens – 6 pen set – Secondary Palette
- 1 – Sharpie Metallics – 4 pen set
- 1 – Elmer’s Painters – Opaque Paint Markers – 5 pen set – Sherbet
- 1 – Uni-ball Signo – 3 pen set
- 1 – Sakura Pigma – Professional Brush – 3 pen set
- 1 – Sakura Glaze – 2 pen pack – White Opaque
- 1 – Sakura Quickie Glue – Pinpoint Roller Glue
- 1 – UHU Glue Stic – 40g
- 1 – EK Tools Cutter Bee Scissors with Security Cover
- 1 – Cedar Canyon – 6 Rubbing Plates – Curves set
- 1 – The Color Wheel Company – Color Wheel
- 3 – Tape Works – washi tape
- 1 – Avery Specialty Labels – 8 sheet assortment
- 1 – Tags Pack – 40 assorted tags
- 1 – Just Add Color – Botanicals by Lisa Congdon – 30 illustrations to color
- 1 – North Light Books – Gelli Plate Printing by Joan Bess –
autographed by author
To enter the giveaway, click on the red “ENTER GIVEAWAY
HERE” button below! (This will ensure that we can contact the winner and
that entries are limited to one per person. One winner will be selected
from all the entries via a random number generator to receive this very
special giveaway!) Entries will be accepted until 12pm noon on 12/22/2015.Our lucky winner will be contacted by email and announced
here on the blog and on our Facebook page no later than 12pm noon on 12/23/2015!
THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!!!!
Please—share your prints with us on our
Facebook page, or on Instagram using the hashtag #gelliprint, #gelliplate or #gelliarts . Tag us with
@gelliarts on Instagram and Twitter too! We love to see what you’re creating!!
Remember, we now
all over the world, so it’s easier than ever to find a Gelli retailer near you!
Good Luck and Happy Printing!
Best Wishes for a Wonderful Holiday Season from all of us at
Gelli Arts® to all of you!